Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Bit of MAC that I Could Splurge On!

Lips, Eyes, and Multi-use! Oh My!


So I had saved up some money this year to buy my FIRST MAC PRODUCTS! I know, i know... how could i not have some by now!??! A makeup fanatic such as myself should have some already, yeah? Well not if you're a starving student in college! :P But since I'd been saving up, annnd midterm exams had just finished, i told myself "Hey you!..Yup, you, Kai. You deserve to splurge on something" When i saw the Disney Venomous Villains collection, i knew that i just HAD to get out there and snatch up some of my favourites from it. (Yes, i'm a sucker for anything Disney.) So here's where i talk about and review (more like gush) about what i bought. Keep in mind though, that my opinions are only reflective of the colours or shades that i've tried, and what i say might not apply to all the shades of these products.




_________________________________________





Lipglass ($18.50 CA for 0.17oz [$108.82/oz]) I love these! There are however a few things to watch out for if you like a particular formulation for lipglosses. These are Very thick and sticky. Personally, I like that. It means it will last longer (about 3-4 hours on me with light eating and drinking through a straw,) Though...i wouldn't recommend wearing lipglasses under the mistletoe. Even though they're super thick and last quite a while, they will transfer hardcore onto anything that touches your lips, a.k.a. the lips/cheek of your mistletoer. I know my boyfriend doesn't like these! The colour is more opaque and i feel that they don't accentuate cracked or dry lips. I would wear these everyday if I could afford to repurchase these. They have a light vanilla scent, but it doesn't linger once applied. The scent is the same as their lipsticks, which i also love...but that's coming up! The ones I got are:


> Strange Potion - Venomous Villains, Evil Queen Collection. It's a pinked out peach with a frost gloss finish. Its really quite opaque. I wear it by itself a ton! I think this is my favourite when I don't feel like spending a ton of time on my makeup because it doesn't need a lipstick under it, and it pairs well with a neutral eye, or even just mascara and liquid liner.


> Wicked Ways - Venomous Villains, Cruella Deville Collection. It's an almost opaque slightly cool based red with silver shimmer. I think this could work well on most skin tones, but maybe not really dark skin, or very very warm skin tones. I love this one for special occasions, especially around the holidays! Its very festive with the shimmer and everything! (Again, beware of mistletoing in this one! :P )


> Viva Glam Cyndi - This is a quite opaque, warm, pinked up coral with a teensy tiny bit of gold and pink micro-shimmer. Though this doesn't really show up when applied. I think this is my favourite of the 3! this one makes me feel "done-but-not-overdone" when I have this on. It adds Lots of colour, without being red, or too orange, or too pink.. its a very awesome middleground! Annndd its Viva Glam..so that makes it That much better! Read about MAC and Viva Glam HERE! But in short form, all the proceeds go to the MAC AIDS fund!




> Midterm Exam!
   Product: 55/60
   Value: 13.5/20
   Packaging: 9/10
   Ease of use: 8/10

> Did it pass?

   Yeah! 85.5% 


_________________________________________


Lipstick - ($17.50 CA for 0.10oz [that's $175/oz]) Okay, so i can only really speak for the one i bought, but i really do like this lipstick. Although it has less slip, and i feel like I need to apply it with a brush, it stays on well and has Great opacity! I do feel like it accentuates cracked lips a bit..but i can just correct that with a teensy bit of Vaseline before applying the lipstick. It is vanilla scented, like all MAC's other lipsticks and lipglasses. I LOVE the scent, but it doesn't linger. I find that there's a Huge difference between the scent of higher end lip products and drugstore lip products. So aside from wishing it was a tad bit creamier, i really do love this lipstick!


> Creme de Nude - A light warm nude with a tiny kick of pink that keeps it from looking like rigor mortis has set in. It's a tad bit light for my skintone, but I had herd wayy too much about this shade NOT to get it. It seems to be everyone and their grandma's favourite nude! and yeah, it is pretty great... but I kindof feel like one of those "self-tanner-ducklips-racooneyes-super-processed-hair-mirrorphoto" girls when i wear it alone. I love layering Strange potion over it to give a bit of extra colour and shine. When i wear that combination with a pink blush and light eye makeup, i feel so innocent and cute!  I'm going on forever about this colour... just look at the pictures.. lol.




> Midterm Exam!
   Product: 53/60
   Value: 14/20
   Packaging: 9/10
   Ease of use: 7.5/10





> Did it pass?

   Mhmm! 83.5%


_________________________________________




Liquid Liner - ($21.00 for 0.06oz [that's $350/oz]) Yes, this one was a splurge for the amount of product, but eyeliners are always like that. I have beef with the applicator though. Felt tip applicators used to be the only kind i could use.. then i forced myself to get used to brush tip applicators because of the finer line you can get..and now I apparently cant get back into using felt tip! So its a tad bit hard to use if you're not used to felt tip. The formula is great though, very opaque, great colour payoff, and it goes on smoothly and stays on well without flaking! 


> Smokey Heir - from their Superslick Eyeliner line. It is a dark eggplant purple with pinkpurple and bark purple pearl. this colour is so amazing! it almost looks like it reflects every colour! even though it stays in the purple/violet range. I had to get this colour. It remindes me of the Mad Hatter for some reason. And if you know me, you know I'm completely in love with anything that has to do with Alice in Wonderland/Alice Through the Looking Glass. (And not just Tim Burton's version.) Anywho, great colour for green eyes, or anytime you want something other than a black eyeliner.




> Midterm Exam!
   Product: 53/60
   Value: 12/20
   Packaging: 8.5/10
   Ease of use: 6/10





> Did it pass?

   yeah but not as well as some!79.5%


_________________________________________


Pigment - ($23.50 for 0.15oz [that's $156.67/oz]) It's a multi-use product that a lot of people think is only meant for the eyes. They're super fine loose powders that have Huge colour payoff because of the fact that they are pigments, with little or no filler added. Yeah the price seems a bit much, but believe me, you will almost never run out! You need so very little of the product to get the full true colour that unless you're mixing it with a mixing medium and doing body painting with it, you'll probably never run out. so it's well worth it if you have that much to spend!


> Brash and Bold - BRIGHT fuchsia. And i mean Bright. Wear with caution bright. witha teensy bit of shimmer to it. I'd add this to a lipgoss base to get a fantastic lipcolour, or on the eyes if i'm  feeling squirrely ;)


> Midterm Exam!
   Product: 58/60
   Value: 15/20
   Packaging: 7/10
   Ease of use: 8.5/10




> Did it pass?

   Whoa nelly! hells yeah! 88.5% !


_________________________________________


> Final Exams!


Product: 54.75/60
Value: 13.625/20
Packaging: 8.375/10
Ease of Use 7.5/10


> Do they pass?
    Yeah they do! With a huge 84.25%


_________________________________________
>Photos Time!




Venomous Villains Packaging: Strange Potion (left) Wicked Ways, (right)
The outer box slips off to reveal the regular Lipglass Packaging.

 Top Views: Strange Potion, (left) Wicked Ways (right)


 Inner box of the Lipglasses: The same as all their regular Lipglasses


Strange Potion (Left) Wicked Ways (Right) 


Strange Potion (left) Wicked Ways (Right) 
See! Soo Shiny! 


Strange Potion (left) Wicked Ways (right)
This shows a bit more of the true colours. 


On the doe-foot applicator: Strange Potion (left) Wicked Ways (right)


 Bare Lips                    Strange Potion

 Bare Lips                   Wicked Ways

Viva Glam, Cyndi Lauper: Packaging

 Viva Glam, Cyndi Lauper: Packaging



Viva Glam, Cyndi Lauper: Tube

Viva Glam, Cyndi Lauper: Swatch 
This photo shows the colour a bit paler than it is in real life, the next photo shows it more true to colour.


Viva Glam, Cyndi Lauper: On the doe-foot applicator.


 Bare Lips                           Viva Glam: Cyndi Lauper

Creme de Nude: Packaging 
(All MAC Lipsticks come in the same box and tube packaging.)
Creme de Nude: Top view
Creme de Nude: Tube 
(All MAC lipsticks come in the same tube)
Creme de Nude: In the Tube

Creme de Nude: Swatch



 Bare Lips                     Creme de Nude


_________________________________________

I Know That I Don't Have All The Photos Yet! Stay Tuned For The Continuation!


   

No comments:

Post a Comment